Anal sex is one sex act plenty of people want – but, despite this, it’s still rarely discussed or understood. 12 ways porn will improve your sex life Highly pleasurable when done properly, a bit of backdoor action shouldn’t be overlooked as a great addition to a couple’s sex life.
Thinking of giving it a go? Here are 11 tips that will ensure your anal sex experience is a good one.
1. Communicate Anal sex is an acquired taste and definitely not for everyone. So, when it comes to bum fun, a no definitely means no. Rebecca Dakin, sex expert and author of 101 Sex Tips highlights ‘The most important thing about anal sex is that you don’t do it to please your partner, you do it because you want to explore the experience. It’s not for everyone and that’s ok’.
2. Take it easy Regardless of how keen you are to try anal sex, it is something that should be taken slowly. Being relaxed is essential in order for it to be a pleasurable experience and the back door definitely certainly isn’t the place to practise your ‘wham, bam, thank you ma’am’ moves.
3. Experiment first Adult sex educator Chris Pinto says ‘using your fingers or tongue to arouse your partner can be a highly pleasurable way to turn your partner on before the act itself’. ‘There are a number of other ways to prepare for anal sex too – sharing warm a bath together with some candles can help release the tension in the pelvic area. You can even take the chance to explore ahead of time whilst bathing, with water itself as a sort of lubricant’.
4. Toys Alternatively, there are a great range of toys on the market which will do the job just as well and, according to Chris Pinto, can be the perfect way to start experimenting with anal sex. ‘Butt plugs are a great way of experimenting if you aren’t ready to take the plunge yet. There are some great beginner plugs to help with the ‘full’ feeling one can get when having something in the back door for the first time’. Watch the soap
5. Lube up The holy grail of enjoyable anal sex. And, according to Rebecca Dakin, ‘The key thing is relaxation through lots of foreplay, lots of lube, and a sensitive lover who is going to take their time’. Chris Pinto adds ‘The key to enjoying anal sex is relaxation and LOTS of lubrication. ‘Going in dry’ will be unpleasant and painful for all involved.’ The top 10 sexual fantasies women have (but probably won’t admit to)
6. Condoms Despite the obvious avoidance of pregnancy, practising safe anal is as important as using condoms during regular sex.
7. Get involved Masturbating whilst your partner penetrates you is a great way of adding extra enjoyment to the anal sex experience, it can also help you relax, without focusing solely on the job in hand. Mix it up
8. Experiment with positions Despite people thinking of anal sex as a bit of a one trick ‘doggy style’ pony, there is no reason why it can’t be enjoyed in a number of different positions. For example, lying on your front with a pillow under your hips can be more comfortable and missionary, a different sensation with more intimate eye contact.
9. Don’t withdraw too quickly Anal entry can be uncomfortable – and withdrawal no less so. So, if you don’t want to literally feel the shooting pain of what feels like half the world falling out of your bum – slow withdrawal is advised.
10. Don’t swap around Poo is an obvious potential side effect of anal sex or, more specifically, poo on willies, fingers and toys – and even if it’s not visible, back door germs do linger and are not something you want directly inserted into your vagina.
11. Don’t eat a curry an hour before (or an hour after) I’ll leave you to do the maths.